My Music Video


My Album Cover

Click to view the INFLUX website

Monday 12 September 2011

What Music Means To Me



Childhood
Jerk It Out - Caesars

This was possibly my first favourite song, and still remains today one of the best. I first heard it on a video game called SSX 3. It was a snowboarding game, and to me this song reflects my interests and fantasies from when I was younger, as I was particularly into extreme sports at the time. I was used to hearing pop music from my mum, or more classic rock from my dad, and so this was my introduction to more modern rock and alternative music. It was also the first song I ever bought off iTunes, when I got my first iPod Mini back in 2005!




Early Teens
Numb - Linkin Park

Linkin Park were really my first favourite band, and I became interested in them around the age of 12/13. They were the first band where I had all the albums and loved all the songs, and they were the first band I ever saw live and was an amazing experience. This represents a time when I was still discovering myself and the sorts of music I enjoyed, and Linkin Park will always remain a favourite of mine.




Today
Whatever - Oasis

This last track is one of my favourite all time songs, by one of my favourite all time bands. Particularly nowadays, it seems that most of the popular music is very boring and all sounds very similar, but Oasis are timeless, and their music is still fantastic today. I'd always known of Oasis because of their big songs like 'Wonderwall' and 'Don't Look Back In Anger', but it wasn't until a couple of years ago that I really began to like them, and their album '(What's The Story) Morning Glory' is my favourite album ever. They are particularly important to me as I learnt to play a lot of their music on guitar, and it was because of them I enjoyed playing so much, and am still an avid guitarist today.
I chose this song in particular because it reflects an attitude that I have; some of the lyrics are 'I'm free to do whatever I, whatever I like, if it's wrong or right, it's alright' and the song just feels very uplifting and pure.

This task and discussion in lesson has lead me to understand that music is incredibly personal and can be used in an autobiographical way. Reminiscing about the music I used to like and the methods in which I consumed it can be relevant to how we market our artist; for example I discovered the Caesars song through a video game, so depending on our music choice and audience demographic, that could be a viable option.

This task has also shown us the way in which popular music taste has changed for our particular age group. Currently 'Pop' music, in other words chart music, is the most consumed genre of music, however 'Dubstep' for example is a very popular emerging genre, so it may be a good idea to consider that.

No comments:

Post a Comment